5 Innovations That Could Make Processing Of Cassava Into Garri Less Stressful For Farmers In Nigeria
Cassava is widely grown in different states in Nigeria, it remains one of the most consumed crops in the country.
If we are to fully explore the potential of the crop, effective processing methods that can bring a variety of products must be embraced.
Cassava can be processed into several products such as lafun, garri, tapioca, akpu, and many more.
Farmers do prefer to process cassava into garri because it has a huge demand in the Nigerian market, hardly will you see a household in Nigeria that doesn’t have a quantity of garri where the food for the family is kept.
Processing cassava into garri is quite stressful if a local method is used, it is only suitable for small-scale production. The latest technology must be incorporated into the different steps of turning cassava into garri for large-scale production.
Processing method backed by technology is not laborious like the local processing method, it makes the product safe for consumption and the quality of the final product is better.
The following are the innovations that can make the processing of cassava into garri less stressful for farmers in Nigeria.
1. Once the cassava has been harvested from the farm, the farmer proceeds to peel the back of the crop with a knife, this process is time-consuming and requires many hands if the quantity of the cassava is high.
Cassava peeler could be of great help, it can handle a huge volume of cassava within short period and does a quality job.
2. The traditional method of grating cassava involves the use of a local grater which is a perforated metal, a bowl is placed under the grater to collect the pulp.
Cassava grating machines are common with processors in Nigeria, there are three types of cassava grating machines. Cassava grater, hammer mill, and rasper are efficient in turning cassava into pulp.
3. Pressing of grated cassava is very important, harmful chemicals are pushed out of the pulp and fermentation does take place at this stage.
The local way of pressing cassava pulp is done with the use of planks and logs tied together with ropes. It could take days before the pressing will be properly done.
However, with the use of a hydraulic depressing water machine, the farmer can be rest assured to have the cassava cake within hours.
4. The sieving of the dewatered pulp is done locally with a sieve and the processor will have to break the cassava cake into smaller pieces then rub gently against the sieve.
A cassava sieving machine is very effective in separating the fiber from the cassava slurry.
5. Cassava frying is one of the most stressful steps if the local method is used, it is done with a shallow earthenware over a wood fire.
Paddles of wood are then used to press and turn the sieved mash on the hot surface of the frying pan. The person frying the garri may have to endure hours of being exposed to heat.
With the latest frying machine, there is no need to stand by to stir-fry garri.
A local farmer may not be able to afford these machines, the government can make special funds available for garri processors to help introduce technology into their trade.