Expertise is acquired through dedicated practice, many experts in the field suggest.
But how exactly do people go about becoming experts? Are some people simply born with the requisite talent, or can anyone become an expert with the proper study and training?
While it might be easy to point out who is and is not an expert, agreeing on a formal definition of expertise is not always so easy. Is it about how much you know? Is it about being able to act well? And at what point does a person move from being merely good at something to being a bonafide expert?
Some of the critical components of expertise are knowledge, skill, and achievement. People who become experts tend to acquire a body of knowledge that makes them one of the most informed individuals in their field. They also possess the skills that they need to determine when and how to utilize their knowledge.
Such skills are often learned, but they can also be influenced by natural talent and ability. Finally, people who possess expertise also tend to excel in their field and achieve far above and beyond what the average person does.
With a better understanding, we have come up with; 5 Steps on How to become an expert in your field.
- Believe in yourself
- Acquire information
- Focus on one subject
- Engage in deliberate practice
- Start teaching others
- Believe in yourself: For you to first become an expert, you need first to identify yourself, believe in what you are and be ascertain you will become one. Being an expert is more about seeing yourself as one, do and say things as one. Believing in yourself is your first step to achieving anything in life.
Acquire Information: Knowledge is power, becoming an expert is more of you gaining a vast amount of knowledge about a particular topic, learn more, read more engaging books, this increase your awareness, and allows you to be a master in every content to be discussed.
- Focus on one subject: Aside believing yourself of being capable, and acquiring knowledge about a subject, you need to focus on a particular thing at a time. Trying to be a master of many things will make you lose everything. You need to have a key focus you want to become an expert on. There is never an expert in multiple fields, there has to be one thing that makes you outstanding, one that makes you different, and that is achieved if you focus on what subject.
- Engage in deliberate practice: Regardless of what subject you are focused on, the more you practice, the more aware and inform you are. The idea of being an expert is to have vast knowledge about something, and this is mainly achieved by regular practicing and engagement. To be an expert, you need to practice what you know, in other to figure out hidden ways, and this makes you stand out.
- Start teaching others: For you to be known and respected, it always because of the value you have given out to people and how it has helped and meet their lives. Being an expert is not about what you have known in years, and what you have achieved alone, but about what value you have given out for people to benefit in, how well your life has impacted others in a particular field.
Becoming an expert is not a day job; it requires years of practice, years of research, and years of teaching. Without doing the above 5 Steps on How to become an expert in your field, becoming an expert will only be a dream.