As a large and visible development organisation, we work in more than 40 countries in Africa, Asia, Europe and America.
Our expertise lies in community-led approaches to development and working through partnerships with the poor and other grass root organisations.
We are recruiting to fill the Position below:
Job Title: Director of Programmes
Location: Country Office, Abuja
Reporting to: Country Director
Line Management: Head of Programmes, Manager – Governance, Manager – Humanitarian & Resilience; and Manager – Impact Assessment & Shared Learning (IASL)
- The Director of Programmes leads the programmes Directorate
- The post holder will be part of the Senior Management/Country Management Team of ActionAid Nigeria (AAN) that makes key strategic decisions and provide input to strategic plans
- S/he will be responsible for the strategic management, development, and management of all programme activities in ActionAid Nigeria and ensure the project management of donor funded projects
- S/he will also facilitate capacity building for staff on ActionAid methodologies.
Strategic Planning and Development:
- Lead the development of both strategic and 3-year plans in accordance with Country Strategy Paper (CSP) and 3-year planning guidelines
- Monitor the implementation of the CSP ensuring short term programmes are within the framework of the CSP
- Manage the review of the CSP, ensure mid-term review of CSP is successfully conducted and on time
- Support the various teams/sectors in the development and revision of strategic plans
- Undertake the review of any sector when due
- Responsible for leading quality programme design, implementation, innovation and communication in AAN and across the Federation in relation to ActionAid International’s Human Rights Based Approach (HRBA), and the mission objectives within the AAN Strategy
- Work closely with other Directorates, leads programmatic support for partners and country programmes and Global Secretariat (GS) with appropriate tools, policy research and content analysis promoting AA’s enhanced Human Rights Based Approach
- Directs and coordinates the policy analysis and research that provide the evidence base for our national, multi-country and/or international campaigns or programmes
- Ensures the promotion of innovation and development and implementation of programmatic alternatives that provide sustainable solutions in AAN’s efforts to eradicate poverty and injustice in collaboration with partners
- Leads the coordination of AAN’s campaigns, programme related communications and media advocacy to achieve the objectives of the organization
- Represent ActionAid Nigeria in relevant external meetings at all levels, building relationships with social movements and other key allies that will reinforce the impact of programmes.
- Ensure the timely submission of good quality programme reports as agreed with donors or in project proposal
- Manage the evaluation of programmes both mid-term and final evaluations of all projects and programmes
- Manage the annual Participatory Review and Reflection Process
- Support the documentation and sharing of experience in all programmes within AAN, partner organisations and ActionAid International
- Represent AAN in alliances and networks both within and outside Nigeria
- Contribute ideas from the micro level work for the development of advocacy at the macro level while feeding macro level policy to inform AAN’s work at the micro level
- Manage the development, implementation and monitoring and documentation of the outcome of periodic advocacy plans
- Identify key issues and key collaborators for AAN advocacy work
- Contribute to the development of the Country Programme as member of Country Management Team.
Human Resource Management:
- Support the recruitment and induction of programme staff
- Provide line management to team leaders and Heads of units
- Build a strong programme team among the programme staff located in the Head Office and other locations across the country.
- Set annual targets for each staff of the Unit in consultation with the staff. Maintain ongoing monitoring of the performance of staff against targets and take corrective steps if targets are not being met.
- Provide support and motivate staff to meet targets.
- Ensure appraisals are conducted for all programme staff through their line managers in accordance with AAN staff policies.
- Ensure the development of work plans by all reporting directly to Director of Programmes
- Develop annual staff development plans for subordinate staff taking into consideration areas of weaknesses and skill gaps noticed during appraisals and from staff career plans.
Collaboration with Partners:
- Ensure AAN collaboration with networks and other partners to conduct research and disseminate the findings on issues of common interest.
- Coordinate AAN’s collaboration with government agencies to share information, experiences, influence them and/or build capacity
- Collaborate and exchange information with networks and other organisations in areas of common interest.
- Ensure that programme activities are carried out within agreed budgets
- Ensure the timely completion of programme processes for the release of funds of donors
- Ensure documents required for release of funds are submitted by dates agreed in each project
- Internal Relationships: Entire AAN staff
- External Relationships: Donors, Government Agencies, Partners & other stakeholders.
Education / Qualifications:
- First Degree in Social Sciences or Arts / Humanities is essential
- At least a Master’s Degree in a related field Is essential
- Membership of relevant professional Institute Is desirable.
- At least 15 years minimum working experience in the social development field is essential
- At least 5 years experience in a senior position in the development sector particularly in designing, setting up and coordinating monitoring, evaluation and impact assessment systems and processes is essential
- In-depth understanding of programming issues and policy work at state, national and international levels is essential
- Understanding of gender issues in development and demonstrable commitment to promoting gender equity within the organisation and in programme work is essential
Skills / Abilities:
- Excellent management & leadership skills
- Excellent skills in facilitation and capacity building for inter-linkages between staff, donors, partners & stakeholders
- Excellent conceptual, analytical, documentation and presentation skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including report writing.
- Excellent planning and prioritization skills
- Ability to think strategically
- Strong analytical / problem solving skills.
- Multi-tasking skills
- Negotiation skills
- Demonstrable versatility in use of MS Office suite.
Application Closing Date
9th September, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should kindly download, fill and send their completed Application Form in an MS Word attachment to: [email protected] The subject line of email must state clearly the Job Title of position applied for and Location e.g Director of Programmes – Abuja.
- Only electronically submitted forms will be considered. Scanned application forms will be disregarded.
- ActionAid offers competitive terms of employment. Applications from women and candidates from the North East and North West are particularly encouraged.
- While we respect all applicants, interview dates will be communicated only to shortlisted candidates.
Also Follow us on Facbook, Twitter, Instagram For Give Away!